Friday 8 August 2008

VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 2 Database Changes

After my previous postings on the VirtualCenter upgrade process, I had some correspondence with VMware devs that was proxied by John Troyer from the VMTN Blog. During the course of that correspondence, I lamented the generic names given to the stats rollup SQL agent jobs. SQL agent jobs are created per-instance and thus having generic names would be problematic in a shared SQL environment - effectively, you'd need a SQL instance per VC database, instead of a single SQL instance with many VC databases. Not exactly an optimal use of resources on the SQL box.

But surprise surprise - today I installed VC 2.5 Update 2, and guess what I saw



As you've probably guessed, 'server1_vcdb' is the name of my VC database. Sure, they probably meant to put a space in between 'rollup' and [databasename], but don't I feel just a little bit special ^_^. Thanks guys.