Tuesday 7 October 2008

VM Template for Citrix Provisioning Server

A rather odd bug with VirtualCenter is the inability to deploy VM's with a SCSI controller but without a disk... even creating a template from a VM that has a SCSI controller but no disk results in a template with no SCSI controller (you then have to convert it to a VM, re-add the SCSI controller, then convert back to template. Only to find the SCSI controller stripped during the deploy from template. There's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back).

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time you'll know I'm not exactly a fan of Citrix XenServer, but Citrix Provisioning Server on the hand is _very_ cool (albeit prohibitively expensive and not without it's drawbacks... another post maybe). For the uninitiated, Provisioning Server streams a disk via the network. But obviously the streamed disk needs to be access via a disk controller (duh!). Which is why I want to create a diskless template in the first place.

Before firing up the trusty PowerShellified version of Notepad2, i did a cursory search of the VI Toolkit forum to see if someone had done this already... and surprise surprise, Cool Hand LucD had done my work for me.

So yeh, now all I need to do is deploy my scsiless and diskless template with new-vm and call the function from LucD, and all is well in the world - big ups to LucD.

/me makes W shape with fingers on one hand while simultaneously pounding fist on chest with the other